geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: ObjectWeb (was Re: ASM looks cool but LGPL)
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:08:02 GMT
Just to be clear in case any ObjectWeb folks don't know. Apache
software cannot import any *GPL code since its a viral licence. So on a
project like Apache Geronimo we cannot import any ObjectWeb code -
hence we can't use ASM.

However if Geronimo links to the JMS API (which we have an ASF/BSD
version of it) then a user could deploy JORAM inside Geronimo. Though
due to the LGPL licence Apache couldn't bundle JORAM inside it and host
it at Apache - though others could if they wished. e.g. ObjectWeb could
host a deployment of Geronimo with LGPL stuff inside it.

If any ObjectWeb projects were available under a BSD style licence then
Apache projects could happily use them directly & import the code (e.g.
ASM).

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/