geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: J2EE reference implementation
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:26:29 GMT
I want Geronimo to be a world class modular & flexible fully J2EE
compliant application server. I don't really want Geronimo to be
constrained in any way by *being* the reference implementation.

e.g. if we add some funky AOP stuff or support for deploying POJOs,
JavaBeans, Avalon & PicoContainer components and so forth - which is
outside of the spec but useful to different users. If this were
included in the RI then folks might get confused and think these
features are in the J2EE spec.

It seems a common issue with RIs that 'extra stuff' is often not
allowed and for good reason.

So maybe (if Sun are interested) the reference implementation could be
*based on* Geronimo. i.e. Sun can cherry pick all the bits they want
from Geronimo (and contribute to it of course too :) but they get to
choose what goes into Geronimo, how its configured & what options are
enabled out of the box.

That way Sun stays in full control over what the J2EE RI is and the
Geronimo community decides on what features we implement in Geronimo
(providing the features we add don't break certification). Then we'd
get the best of both worlds.

The best first step would be for Sun to allow Geronimo to the be
reference implementation of the J2EE APIs - then we can all freely use
the J2EE APIs without all this silly
by-hand-typing-in-of-APIs-from-documentation.

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 10:11  am, Adrian Jackson wrote:

> Surely the goal should be to create a *good* J2EE implementation,
> rather
> than one that necessarily falls within the constraints of what Sun
> would
> want from a reference implementation? I'd guess that more people use
> Tomcat because it's good at what it does, not because it's the RI.
>
> If a good implementation ends up being something that Sun would like to
> use as the RI, then all well and good, but I'd rather see us building
> something that the admins/developers here would like to use for
> themselves than something for Sun.
>
> Adrian

James
-------