geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: DownloadTest Failure when working offline/ behind firewall
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:59:43 GMT

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 08:38  am, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 07:11 Europe/London, Kristian Koehler
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Siva, Hi Alex
>>
>> of course this is a possible workaround (this is what we are doing
>> right now), but on the other hand why skip all working tests just
>> because one single test fails while attempting to connect via HTTP?
>>
>> It just doesn't seem like the right thing to do IMHO.
>>
>> So why not change the test to run everywhere out of the box?
>
> I also think that it shouldn't be the default to run tests during
> compilation/build. Tests should be something that a developer does
> after a successful build (of the entire system), as opposed to a core
> part of the build process.

No - unit tests are part of the build process and they should stay
there.

You could argue stuff that depends on external HTTP stuff could be
integration tests (which could be in another module).

> Either that, or a not-build-but-everything-but-tests target should be
> created; I've not managed to find one in Maven so far (at least, one
> that does everything bar test).

I don't follow.

// to compile just the code & tests

maven java:compile test:compile

You can disable the running of the unit tests if you wish via the
maven.test.skip=true property which can be specified in your
build.properties or on the command line. What more do you need?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/