geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [services] getting service developers started - the initial component model
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:43:14 GMT
>> AFAIK the J2EE spec doesn't say anything about being able to put your
>> own MBean into a server. However, an MBean container for just this
>> purpose sounds like an excellent idea.
>
> There are rumors of a user loadable JMX services JSR forming.

Cunning. However, I think that the ApacheJ2EE server should eventually
use a micro-kernel, of which one of the containers is a MBean
container, rather than necessarily the ApacheJ2EE server being an MBean
container.

>> Note that I don't believe the server itself needs to be an MBean
>> container (in much the same way that the whole isn't a web container
>> or ejb container) but it seems reasonable to assume that at some
>> future point the J2EE spec may create the concept of an MBean
>> container.
>
> I agree that the standard component model (the component model is not
> the server) does not have to be JMX, but it seems like an extreme
> waste of effort to create a shadow JMX object for every component in
> the server, when we can just have them be JMX components.

There's no reason they can't be both, but generate the JMX interfaces
automatically and/or dynamically rather than having to have the user
code them.

The danger with using too much JMX is that when components start
talking to each other using JMX, then it's very difficult to undo at a
later stage.

Alex.