geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [general] low signal, high noise
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:34:28 GMT
It is not just about reading the list.  My comment was more general in
that it is super easy to add & manage sub-groups so that folks do not
have to worry about special prefixes and stuff.  Also a bit of a
theoretical comment on why email is bad for large discussions like this.

But whatever, hard to teach an old dog new tricks... email is an old
dog.

--jason

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 02:10  PM, James Strachan wrote:

> You can read apache mail via NNTP if thats what people want to do.
> (Dunno if this particular list is on there yet but most other ones
> are).
>
> http://gmane.org/
>
> For those of us who prefer to use their email reader - always using a
> good [prefix] on subjects can help. Over time when all the modules are
> in CVS we'll be able to use the [moduleName] as a good prefix - then
> folks only interested in mail relating to one or two modules can
> filter their email easily.
>

> On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 08:05  am, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> Its too bad, discussions of this size really warrant a more organized
>> message system, like NNTP... but I have no idea if anyone at Apache
>> is looking into this, or already has it implemented.  NTTP is much
>> easier to manage wrt, sub contexts as well as reduces general net
>> traffic, as every single message is not duplicated to each
>> subscribers mail box.
>>
>> --jason
>>

>> On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 07:17  AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>

>>> Different issue Alan.
>>>
>>> What I'm after are sub-lists. ie)
>>>
>>> geronimo-dev mail list then:
>>> [general]   or  [spec]  etc.
>>>
>>> At Jakarta Commons we have slowly managed to get the Developer list
>>> abide by this, though no the User list 100% of the time. Although I
>>> [and
>>> someone else] suggested such a thing for Geronimo, the sheer number
>>> of
>>> people here means it's unlikely it'll manage to learn to abide by
>>> informal
>>> rules [my opinion from the Commons community].
>>>
>>> Even if it is, the only way to make it adhere is to define a solid
>>> set of
>>> sub-contexts and publish these [wiki, whereever]. Or to push off
>>> separate
>>> lists [which damages the development of the community, but so does