geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "kamesh kompella" <kompella_geron...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Axioms for JCA implementation
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:51:51 GMT
Re: Axioms for JCA implementationHi Richard,
                  Thanks for the info. In that case, I will look into getting RA going for
openjms. This will be the "dummy" RA that can be used for testing the app server's contract's
implementation once the infrastructure is in place.

I was intrigued by one of your statements:
"Personally, I don't think the CCI offers much value. Most Ras will have very specific APIs.
I think we should avoid supporting it."
Is the variability in API ok as the code will be derived at deployment time with the help
of some tools which will hide the custom API from source code? Also, what happens to two tier
clients ( Should we leave them out altogether since this is as bad as mixing DB calls in a
JSP) ? Do we assume that these clients will talk to the App server?

Thanks.
Kamesh
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Monson-Haefel
  To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 2:23 AM
  Subject: Re: Axioms for JCA implementation

  My 2 cents ...

  On 8/24/03 11:46 PM, in article BAY8-DAV242dC8lU8WX000436a6@hotmail.com, "kamesh kompella"
<kompella_geronimo=PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

               There are some tests in place already under the incubator-geronimo\specs\j2ee-connector\src\test
directory. However,  these are against the classes that are specified in the spec. Beyond
these, as I see it, one can write all the tests one wants, (as they will be testing the interfaces)
 but the more important path of figuring out what's to be done to make the implementations
concrete has to be tread. There are several gaps in the connector specification that will
need to be filled in. These are left out for the implementation. Further, we need to figure
out the axioms for the system.

      1.. What can we assume and program against? In other words, what are the givens and
what is it we are trying to accomplish?

  Support for arbitrary JCA 1.5 connectors (resources).

    2. Are we going to provide hooks to let individual RAs or are we not going to do any implementation
there at all? In fact, what is the purview of this project vis-a-vis the implementation? Are
we going to limit ourselves to simply implementing the contract from the app server side?
 I do realize that providing an implementation for each EIS there is, is hard.

  At a minimum we should provide a JCA RA for OpenJMS. This will allow us to use that impl
for MDBs and as the default JMS provider. Last time I checked, the JMS API wasn't explicitly
aligned with JCA 1.5, but I don't think that will be a problem to work around.

    3. The spec does not require that the CCI need be supported. In the light of this information,
are we planning on evolving an API?

  Personally, I don't think the CCI offers much value. Most Ras will have very specific APIs.
I think we should avoid supporting it.

    4. In any case, we will need to write dummy RAs that will ensure that our tests run. We
will also need to supply other components that will become a reality eventually when other
groups fill in.

    I recall having have heard certain other ideas that are outside the scope of the spec
per se but seem to be the responsibility of the implementation group. I was wondering if anybody
can fill me in on these.

    In short, since this is a spec that is pretty much laid out, with most of the work being
done by the third parties or first parties which ever you feel like calling it, I see little
reason for not getting the ball rolling. This is, of course, my 2 cents, and I could be splashing
my ignorance for all and sundry to wallow in. If that is the case, please enjoy the humor
I provided and don't forget to mail me the check. :)

  I would advise that we wait until the core architecture of Geronoimo is established. There
is still debate about how the kernel should be implemented, and this will have a direct impact
on the JCA support in Geronimo.  That said, I don't think there is any harm in getting started
on the dummy RAs (one sync and the other async) since this will take some time and will be
extremely useful for testing once development does begin.

    -k