geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject [SVN] Eclipse and SCV: Subclipse: Not on Mac OS X/Linux/QNX/AIX/HP-UX/Solaris. OK on Windows, though.
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:45:53 GMT
Possibly the only (and indeed, major reason) not to use SVN at the
moment: Subclipse (the plugin to allow Eclipse to talk to SVN) is a
windows-only based system. It uses JNI and lots of other horrible
platform-specific stuff to communicate with SVN.

It also smells of being very fragile; the code is compiled to talk to
/a particular version of SVN and BDB/ on the back-end. So, change the
back-end and everyone gets broken access until they upgrade.

Call me old-fashioned for not using Windows, but one of the reasons
that CVS works is that it works regardless of what platform you're
talking to/from. And the plugins to tools like Eclipse are nearly
ubiquitous.

I'd say that a migration to SVN, whatever the potential benefits, needs
to be carefully choreographed so that peoples favourite IDEs can talk
to it and be able to avoid changes on the SVN server.

Alex.