geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Geronimo on z/OS Unix
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:08:02 GMT
On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 10:07  am, Koller, Shmuel wrote:
> It is proposed to accompany Geronimo with ongoing and consistent
> project
> to port its code to Mainframe (z/OS) Unix Services where
> Java2 JVM exists,  being strategically developed by IBM
> and it is utilized by WebSphere for z/OS.
>
> I will like to undertake this contribution - produce OpenSource J2EE
> for yet
> another platform, z/OS.
> The port to z/OS will take the Unix variant of Geronimo (packaging,
> scripts)
>
> and will be targetted to full incubation of Geronimo in z/OS Unix
> Services &
> JVM technology.
>
> It should provide ongoing feedback to Geronimo team to keep the
> deliverables
> z/OS Unix compliant.
> By end of day - each release shouldrun on z/OS and be accopanied by an
> OpenSource IDE (Eclipse)
>  to consist a full development/deployment/J2EE container for z/OS.

Cool - its certainly our intention to try support Geronimo on as many
platforms as possible. Being 100% pure Java it should work on any
suitable JVM. We should ensure that any scripts for starting/stopping
Geronimo will run on all platforms. Also it might be worth
investigating any good daemon/server support for Geronimo (e.g. to
deploy Geronimo as a Windows Service or as a unix daemon and so forth
for easier systems management).

> As previous IBMer - I know IBMis serious contributor to Open Source on
> one
> side -
> and actively supports porting code/solutions/products to z/OS Unix+Java
> platform

Agreed.

> Please respond copy to me,

Am not sure what kind of response you wanted but - welcome aboard! :)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/