geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <>
Subject Re: SVN? (was: geronimo-dev Digest 12 Aug 2003 21:59:40 -0000 Issue 39)
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:05:28 GMT

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 11:00  pm, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Jeremy Boynes asked:
>> Greg Stein wrote:
>>> "sorry. no more CVS. it is a bitch to maintain. switch to SVN."
>> Should be be planning for this, and perhaps move now whilst we are
>> small?
> Another thing to consider, but again Greg is the expert, is that this
> is a
> huge umbrella with a lot of sub-projects.  Right now there is one
> module.
> Moving between modules in CVS isn't a whole lot of fun, even if
> doable.  SVN
> has a different model, which would make partitioning acces rights, and
> moving things around a WHOLE LOT easier.

That sounds useful, then we can have committers in each area of the
server rather than one massive committer pool.

> This project seems almost ideal to give Subversion a whirl,
> considering how
> the project structure interacts with key differences between CVS and
> Subversion.

Agreed. I think I'm now +0.5 for SVN now (though once I've tried the
eclipse plugin I'll be more happy :).

(This just means we'd best get the cvslog report for Maven updated to
handle SVN too :)

View raw message