geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [services] getting service developers started - the initial component model
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:05:00 GMT

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 08:47  am, James deGraft-Johnson wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am joining this effort with the hope of being a code contributor.
>
> I think this (MBean component model) is a good idea. It would be
> helpful if
> a sketch or example MBean can be created, so those of us who are new
> to open
> source development and MBean development can understand exactly what
> this
> component model entails. (This example does not have to be throw-away
> as it
> could be a live component.)

There are already quite a few MBeans in the source code. Just search
for files matching *MBean.java and see how they're used.

> There are two other suggestions I would like to make. One is that a
> decision
> on the base (kernel/framework) code be made and moved to CVS assuming
> it
> hasn't already.

Its already there in CVS

> Also, whatever this MBean component model involves, it
> essential that we move ahead to porting the existing
> containers/services to
> this model to identify any risks in the approach we are taking.

The JMX spec (albeit very large and most of this you can ignore)
describes how to write MBeans. Maybe the quickest way to see the way
this works is to look at the examples in mx4j (http://mx4j.sf.net) or
look at the existing MBeans inside Geronimo.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/