geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [testing] Test against a running server
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:12:34 GMT

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 05:10  am, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> How do we plan on testing against a running server?
>
> I just wrote a test which deploys a set of dependent services and test
> the state transitions as I stop and restart the services.  The problem
> is I need a server running to deploy the service.  Do we have a plan
> for dealing with this?  Are we going to use the JBoss model of "start
> a server first"?
>
> This also became a bigger problem, because all tests must pass for the
> server build to complete, so we end up with a major chicken and egg
> problem.  I have disabled all of my deployment test for now.

We could have a separate module for 'system tests' which has a bunch of
JUnit tests which require the whole container to be built & ran before
the unit tests run. Then developers can choose when to run these unit
tests. If you're working on 1 module, you could build that one module
and then run the unit tests module to check things still work.

Would that work? Other strategies include using mock objects and the
like. Vincent & the Cactus folks might have some good feedback on how
we can do in-container testing nicely from inside maven & the geronimo
build

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/