geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Error handling] NullPointer or IllegalArgument?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:21:13 GMT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:03  am, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 09:50 Europe/London, James Strachan
> wrote:
>
>> I favour IAE myself as a guideline though wouldn't rule against NPE
>> in some code.
>
> In what situations would you use a NPE, then? I can't think of any
> situation where an NPE could be considered useful when in all other
> times it reports a bug.

I'd prefer IAE. However I'm more bothered about getting a kick ass J2EE
server that passes the TCK. Having every possible NPE case in the code
covered is lower down my list of priorities.

> In the situations you outline in your next message, why couldn't you
> use (say) IAE or even RuntimeException?

I'm saying lets use IAE - just lets not be too strict, its a good
guideline.

Note on further checking - NPE is not an IAE. They're both
RuntimeExceptions but thats about it. Sorry Jason I think you're
mistaken - but it would have been nice though.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/