geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [jndi] Have we found a JNDI impl yet?
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:16:40 GMT
On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 12:59 Europe/London, Daniel S. Haischt
wrote:

> Alex Blewitt wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> You also have to consider the case when a clustered system is in
>> operation. Then, they are likely to need to share data that is
>> installed, and a sensible back-end may need to synchronize such
>> writes across a number of nodes/clusters.
>> I agree for a single-server environment, having an in-memory cache
>> will be the fastest, but having a switchable JNDI server will allow
>> both :-)
>
> is there already someone working on a clustering solution?
>
> sometimes i am wondering whether we are aiming to provide a all-in-one
> wonder. wouldn't it be possible to start with a more simple in-memory
> solution and switch to a more complex solution while Geronimo emerges?

Geronimo is currently a single-node system. It would obviously be
desirable to support clustering at a later stage.

However, thinking about the aspects involved in clustering now, it
allows us to make better abstractions which will allow us to migrate to
a clustered solution easier in the future.

Alex.