geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Was: JSR77 component lifecycle
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:10:45 GMT

On Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003, at 04:30 Europe/London, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> firstly I was not the author of the original Component/Container
> code... so I don't really know the answers to all your questions and
> I too would like to see some more doco on it.

I think that people use this idea from the java.awt.Component, and
java.awt.Container, which allows the container to recursively contain
other container/components.

Personally, I'm not convinced that it's necessarily the right way to go
for this implementation, since I don't think Containers will contain
other Containers. However, there may well be a need for a supertype of
both Component and Container that provides standard methods (such as
getName()) ?

> But the container/component thang is a pretty standard pattern and
> can be found in most pattern books (can't remember the name but
> it is probably container?)

It's referred to as Composite (page 163) in "Design patterns: Elements
of reusable software" (0-201-63361-2) but is essentially the same thing.

Alex.