geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [Error handling] NullPointer or IllegalArgument?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:36:42 GMT
On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 19:07 Europe/London, Day, Jem BGI SF
wrote:

> [Originals Snipped]
>
> IMHO the bigger question is where you set the boundary for 'trusted'
> code.
>
> It's really the 'public' APIs and services/modules that should ensure
> all
> arugments are valid before proceeding. The inner workings of Geronimo
> should
> really be able to trust that it's being invoked correctly - it becomes
> a DbC
> issue (adding @pre, @post, etc javadoc tags might be an idea).
>
> Whilst i'm sure in the early days of development/integration adding IAE
> everywhere will speed up fault diagnosis there is a potential that
> performance will suffer down the road.

I'm not sure it will actually make that much difference. You are just
doing a single 'if' test, not unlike logging messages.

I'm sure we could argue that taking out all debugging/logging messages
will make the code go faster, but it'll certainly be easier to manage
with it in.

And remember, 95% of the time is only spent in 5% of the code -- so
only optimise that 5%, and only then do it after you've shown there is
a bottleneck worthy of optimisation :-)

Alex.