geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: CR/LF cleansing
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:29:06 GMT
I ran into this my self the other day.  I committed a bunch of new
files that were posted in zip format, and when I looked at the files
using my editor, I did not notice the line ending problems.  I also
didn't notice that all of the files had execute permissions on, so for
now on I'll double check everything before I commit it at the command
line with 'ls' and 'od'.

-dain

On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 10:36 AM, Daniel S. Haischt wrote:

> Jason Dillon wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> It is not just a client issue.  Patches that come in have bunk line
>> endings too.
>
> i consider this a client _only_ issue, presuming the statement ...
>
>  Developer.getCurrentCVSClient().equals(CygwinCVSClient);
>
> evaluates to true. why am i stating that?
>
> quote [1]:
>
>  'I suspect this is because the CVS cygwin client has no idea
>  it's running on Windows'
>
> if the above statement is true and a developer creates a diff
> for example according to the CVS Book [2] using ...
>
>  cvs diff -u [file to be patched]
>
> she, the developer, will use the Cygwin cvs binary which
> thinks that ASCII files are stored with UNIX LF line endings
> but actually all drives are mounted in binary mode or vice
> versa (ASCII files are asumed to have DOS CRLF but all drives
> are mounted in text mode).
>
> so the essential point of the above statements is that if the
> client is not configured accordingly, it will always mess up
> files - no matter whether someone did a 'cvs commit' or 'cvs
> diff'.
>
> regards
>
> daniel s. haischt
> --