geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [i18n] Hardcoded message strings
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:37:09 GMT
Bear also in mind that if you are logging something, then it may be
less efficient to say:

String pattern = "You have %{0} items left";
String message = format.pattern(1); // or similar syntax such as
TextFormat?
log(message);

than it would be to say

String pattern = "You have %{0} items left";
log(pattern,1);

That way, the logger can take advantage of the fact that it's a message
format, and not do any applications until the message needs logging,
and when it does, it doesn't need to convert everything to one string
first, but can write out the template as three separate log messages
(log("You have "); log("1"); log (" items left");)

Alex.