geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <>
Subject Re: RES: "Virtual Hosting"
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:34:45 GMT
> However, I'm really suggesting we implement this within the VM,
> whereas the above works by running multiple VMs.  If you want to run
> multiple VMs, you can always just install the product twice.  I prefer
> also have the option to run apps sandboxed in the same VM.  Granted you
> wouldn't be able to run different apps with different server components
> (EJB/Web container, etc.) this way, but I think that's OK.

I think that a per-App VM is likely to be better, so that you can cycle
apps individually from one another without breakages.

But I also like the idea of having several servers so that you can
create different app-groups. There may be some desirable security
aspects of having several server configurations.

Not really sure why installing the product twice is necessary; surely
it would be better having the same codebase? The other big problem to
be avoided (if possible) is JBoss' approach, where the server
configurations didn't just contain config files; they also contained
executable apps. It caused me several problems upgrading from minor
builds (x.1.1 -> x.1.2) because I had to copy the new libs into each of
the server configurations.

View raw message