geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [JNDI] [Config] Configuration: flat file or registry?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:20:11 GMT

On Monday, Aug 11, 2003, at 21:19 Europe/London, Saad Rehmani wrote:

> Alex,
>
> I still think it's a good idea. Even if we don't call those objects
> MBeans and they have at least these two properties:
>
> - The ability to set / get attributes
> - The ability to traverse hierarchical structures and pull out
> attributes
>
> Would it make more sense to you if we called them LightWeightAlexBeans?
> ;)

At the risk of being ego centric, yes :-)

Seriously, though -- that's all a configuration interface needs to be.
Kind of a merge between a TreeModel and a JavaBean.

The biggie is that JMX is /way/ more than that, with the result that a
lot of the other JMX features get exposed/used/abused in the
implementation to the extent that you don't know what's there and
what's not. The current code shot depends heavily on JMX, for example
with calling components JMX names and using a MBeanServer as an
argument to register with. Decoupling code is easy; decoupling concepts
is much more difficult.

Alex.