geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: J2EE DeploymentManager ( was J2EE deployment verifier)
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:01:35 GMT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 05:50  pm, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	When I used Quartz before, it was pretty heavyweight, in that you
> had to create like 8 DB tables.

Though we could embed Axion inside Geronimo (a pure Java JDBC driver)
so having 8 database tables is no big deal. With enterprise schedulers
you often want persistence of some kind...

http://axion.tigris.org/

(FWIW there's been talk of Axion moving to Apache also as part of
db.apache.org)

> I don't think we want to require that in
> order to use the EJB service.  Hopefully Quartz has some non-DB options
> for storing its configuration?

Could have. Still Axion is pretty lightweight too. Probably of the same
order as parsing & reading & writing XML config files .

> But still, it seems to me that's way
> overkill for the EJB timer service, which is pretty simple IIRC (wake
> me
> up in x ms, not scheduling for "2 AM on the first weekday of every
> month
> except holidays" or anything).

There's no need to limit ourselves to the letter of the spec. Lets have
a good integrated timer service that implements the spec and more. It
doesn't seem that heavyweight to me - using persistence - and I'm sure
we could use it for other management features too....

> 	Another option is JCronTab (I think that's the right name), also
> overkill, but less overkill.

It looks like that uses a database too. Dunno if either of these
solutions allow an alternative data source but it would surprise me if
that were not possible - or at least a fairly simple patch. Couldn't
see the licence after a quick look either.

I've a slight bias for Quartz as there's at least one Apache person
behind it and its been used on a few existing projects like Jelly &
Werkflow. But heck - if someone wants to write a simple lightweight
timer service implementation, thats cool too.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/