geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [JNDI] [Config] Thought
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 08:36:33 GMT

On Friday, Aug 8, 2003, at 22:39 Europe/London, Gareth Bryan wrote:

> I understand what you're saying, but it does sound quite network
> chatty.
>
> As cautionary note: I have known customers of commercial app servers
> really bitch about the chattiness /between/ nodes in a cluster. This
> should be kept to an absolute minimum

I agree. The less communication overhead between nodes, the better.

However, a replicated service doesn't necessarily imply that all
requests go over the network. Instead, I'd envisage a local JNDI server
on each machine that only communicates deltas in the naming setup to
other nodes, so it wouldn't be hit consistently with a bunch of read
requests.

This is already possible using a cacheing LDAP server to provide
transparent cacheing to a primary LDAP server on the network, for
example.

Alex.