geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <>
Subject Re: JMX as a kernel (was: Re: geronimo and avalon?)
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:40:56 GMT
On Monday, Aug 11, 2003, at 17:17 Europe/London, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Alex Blewitt said:

Band camp? I've never been to band camp.

> AB>Lastly, if the focus is on 'The kernel is JMX' then that may
> AB>unnecessarily affect design decisions: 'Hey, lets use MBeans
> defined in
> AB>XML on a single flat file'. We could follow JBoss' example and do
> this;
> AB>or we could be more innovative, using a configuration registry
> backed
> AB>with JNDI/LDAP, whilst still providing a Management interface over
> JMX.
> I was actually thinking about another discussion discussing the storage
> of configuration metadata in some type of respository. The first thing
> that comes to my mind is a solution accessible via JNDI and backed by
> anything that is JNDI accessible. LDAP would be my first choice as
> well,
> but because not every environment can deal with LDAP, the JNDI
> interface
> allows anything to be implemented. This need could certainly be met by
> the
> LDAPd project which is currently trying to become an Incubator project.

Yeah, I'd agree that JNDI makes the most sense as a registry front end,
and that an LDAP implementation would be the best service for that. And
I'd definitely vote for an LDAP storage engine inside Geronimo.

See also
for more comments about this list; feel free to add comments in there
to the LDAP/LDAPd project as appropriate.

View raw message