geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: JMX as a kernel (was: Re: geronimo and avalon?)
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:40:56 GMT
On Monday, Aug 11, 2003, at 17:17 Europe/London, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Alex Blewitt said:

Band camp? I've never been to band camp.

:-)

> AB>Lastly, if the focus is on 'The kernel is JMX' then that may
> AB>unnecessarily affect design decisions: 'Hey, lets use MBeans
> defined in
> AB>XML on a single flat file'. We could follow JBoss' example and do
> this;
> AB>or we could be more innovative, using a configuration registry
> backed
> AB>with JNDI/LDAP, whilst still providing a Management interface over
> JMX.
>
> I was actually thinking about another discussion discussing the storage
> of configuration metadata in some type of respository. The first thing
> that comes to my mind is a solution accessible via JNDI and backed by
> anything that is JNDI accessible. LDAP would be my first choice as
> well,
> but because not every environment can deal with LDAP, the JNDI
> interface
> allows anything to be implemented. This need could certainly be met by
> the
> LDAPd project which is currently trying to become an Incubator project.

Yeah, I'd agree that JNDI makes the most sense as a registry front end,
and that an LDAP implementation would be the best service for that. And
I'd definitely vote for an LDAP storage engine inside Geronimo.

See also
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ConfigurationAsRegistry
for more comments about this list; feel free to add comments in there
to the LDAP/LDAPd project as appropriate.

Alex.