geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <>
Subject Re: [i18n] Hardcoded message strings
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:14:45 GMT
On Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003, at 00:09 Europe/London, Thomas Hawtin wrote:

> Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Yes we should, please submit a patch (someone).
> It appears that very few programs put there exception messages in
> resource bundles. I guess we expect anyone who reads them to be a
> programmer and be able to read English even if not quite like a
> native. Also it's easier to edit the messages if they're inline. But I
> won't let that stop me.

What's going to happen in the following situation:

o Server is running on server with default language French
o User running a web application is using German as a language

Which of the two will be used to dump exception messages? I can see two

1) The administrator wants to see exceptions in their language in the
logs (French)
2) The web user will be shown an error message based on an exception,
and hopes that it would be in their language (German)

I think the only way of achieving this would be to have a
formatExceptionInLocale(Locale) method which could choose the
translation at print time, rather than at construction time.

View raw message