geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Author Tags (was: JUnit test for...)
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:43:11 GMT
On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 06:04 PM, Ed Letifov wrote:

> Also,  for  the  future, should the @author tags be specified? I don't
> mind  an  impersonal  collective  ownership  at all, but I can imagine
> someone  bugging  you  someday,  since  you  will  be the one actually
> performing commit.

I used to be strongly for @author tags, but Greg Stein convinced me
otherwise.  Author tags are not really definitive,  if you really want
to know who did something to a file you need to check the CVS log.
Also, I think author tags are a way that code gets 'assigned' to
someone, and I would like to avoid the problem of code ownership that I
have seen in other open source project I have worked on.  Although, I
think the Apache system is designed to reduce the impact of such
problems, I think not having author tags will help.

Just my 2 cents,

-dain

(Hopefully Greg will post his feelings on this.)