geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: global cvsignore (was: geronimo-dev Digest 14 Aug 2003 22:49:29 -0000 Issue 62)
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:33:43 GMT

On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 09:04  am, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 01:44 Europe/London, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> Definitely got my support. maven.log is an easy no-no, and the
>> reasons for
>> having .project and .classpath would only really hold if either:
>>
>> a) project has all its dependencies in a lib/
>> b) project assumes the user will set a MAVEN_REPO variable in eclipse
>> and
>> have the values found there.
>
> This would probably be a good convention IMHO; I've had to hard-code
> them in my path.
>
> Plus, if you had a new depedency added by developer X, and developer X
> commits the .classpath, then I don't need to update my Eclipse runtime
> to notice the new libraries other than doing a refresh.
>
> Of course, it may be possible to auto-generate the .classpath from the
> maven file :-)

It already is.

	maven eclipse

which uses the MAVEN_REPO so that you can share the .classpath with
other users.

>> Do you want me to take it to the Jakarta PMC? Alternatively we could
>> just
>> float the idea on Jakarta General and Maven Users/Dev and see what
>> happens. Also, as Eclipse is not just Java, I assume the .project
>> file is
>> applicable to all projects.
>
> Yes, the .project gives the project name and build types (i.e.
> Java/Plain/Whatever). The only time we might run into problems is in a
> system where I'm using WSAD (built on top of Eclipse) and the .project
> lists it as (say) a Web Project; I'd therefore have a different (and
> incompatible) .project than Eclipse users.

Yep. I'd be happy if we can all just use Maven to generate project
files. Though right now there are problems with multi-maven-project
eclipse projects (am taking this over to the eclipse thread for more
detail).

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/