geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject [JavaMail] re-engineering of JavaMail from specs?
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:35:08 GMT
I have a question regarding reverse engineering JavaMail: what can I
base the reverse engineering on? There are two places I can use to
generate this information:

o The JavaMail specification PDF document
o The JavaMail API docs

My preference would have been to use the former, but there are a lot of
things that aren't exposed in the PDF document. For example, the API
docs have a class:

public class MessagingException {
	public MessagingException(); // and other constructors
	public Exception getNextException();  // get the chained exception
	public void setNextException(Exception e); // change the chained
excception
}

However, the PDF spec doesn't contain any indication of the APIs, and
just infers that there is a class called MessagingException.

So, in order to meet the specs, which should I follow? Should I provide
all public  methods listed in the API documentation, or just those that
are directly mentioned in the PDF? My fear is that if I do the latter,
then we'll end up failing the TCK since it won't have all the methods
the TCK is expecting.

Alex.