geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Coding standards: import thing.* or thing.Class?
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:21:54 GMT
A bunch of people have said they've preferred to use the import
fully.qualified.ClassName approach. I don't see that there is a problem
with having fully qualified references in the code for a single use of
a class (like an implementation of a class name); however, your class
will then 'depend' on that implementation.

Since some developers like looking through a bunch of the imports to
see what the class depends on, 'hiding' it by not listing it as an
import may hide dependencies from some authors. (Plus, if an Eclipse
user does 'Organise Imports' then it may get taken away accidentally
...)

I don't know if we need to do an official vote or not, but the feedback
seems to suggest that the import * shouldn't be used, and I've updated
the Wiki  ApacheJ2EE/CodingStandards page to reflect this.

Aex.