geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject getting the J2EE Deployment API code (Re: J2EE DeploymentManager ( was J2EE deployment verifier)
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:52:37 GMT

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 05:34  pm, Chris Opacki wrote:

> The deployment api is downloaded without source. I'm
> sure the source is somewhere.

I'm sure it is :)

However can we legally use it in our project? This isn't the case for
the EJB API. We need to check if we can reuse & redistribute Sun's
binaries or source  - typically we can't.

So our best approach today is to retype them all in from the javadoc /
specification so that we can include the source in our CVS repository
and build them ourselves or redistribute our binaries etc. Hopefully
Sun will change this someday soon but right now using the Sun binaries
would force people to have to manually download all the J2EE APIs and
put them in the right place in their Maven repository which is a PITA.

There was talk of Maven having a special 'Sun' plugin to ask you if you
abode by Sun's licencing terms before it auto-downloaded the jar. Dunno
if thats ready yet.