geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Web Clustering
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:19:14 GMT
On Sunday, Aug 17, 2003, at 16:35 Europe/London, Jules Gosnell wrote:

> Alex,
>
> we seem to be using the same terms to mean very different things and
> this is leading to confusion.
>
> I'll go first:
>
> shared-store - many nodes storing their state in a common service.

Seems like a fairly good definition; I was using the term 'store' to
imply something like a database or other external product at the back
end.

Since I'm presuming that in order for this to occur, there has to be a
shared-store (and will all implementations will be a shared-store) then
can we come up with a name for sessions-stored-in-a-backend-system? Or
is that what you mean by shared-store? (I.e. do you consider your
'replication' model to be a 'shared store' because to me, it reads like
it does.)

> replication - each node storing copies of it's state somewhere
> off-node (probably not in the same place as all the other nodes). I am
> suggesting that this 'other-place' is on the back of another
> web-container.

There's a difference between having the current state in memory, and
replicating it off-node, to only loading the state into memory
dynamically from a backend database. Further, the term replication is
used in databases as well which could add to the confusion.

Replicated sessions sounds like a good name for this concept, though.

> The implementation of the storage in either situation is not specified
> - I'm doing a logical design.
>
> Affinity is load-balancing policy, which allows you to optimise
> caching (and possibly forget about session distribution entirely, if
> you can live with SPoFs), because you can predict where subsequent
> requests for a session will fall.

Yes, that's the general idea I had of affinity.

> How do these compare to your definitions ?

Pretty well, I think; the only thing that I'm not sure is whether
'shared-store' covers your concept of 'replication' or not (since that
is, by definition, a common service across nodes ...)

> Once we talk the same language, we can go forward :-)

I tried to put those definititions on Wiki (or at least, what I thought
they were). I'm pretty sure we've got the same ideas of concepts; if
you want to edit the wiki and put '.. or Xxxx ' in the section titles
then once we've got the ideas mapped to what we call them, we're in a
much better position :-)

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheJ2EE/Clustering

Alex.