geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [General] Container interface and AbstractContainer
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:49:59 GMT
On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 11:30 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

>>> Surely then it makes it desirable to have a 'Thing' and 'Service'
>>> supertypes to distinguish between them?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by 'Thing' here, but JSR77 makes a
>> distinction between a resource and an instance of a resource (a
>> service).  So they have things like a JDBC Driver (a resource) and a
>> JDBC connection pool (a service).  Is that what you mean?
>
> Yes, but I couldn't think up a good word for a non-service class;
> resource sounds like it fits the bill. But would then things like
> Servlets, EJBs etc be resources as well?

No.  The model is on page 20 of the 77 spec.  Resources are
JCAResource, JTAResource, JDBCResource, JMSResource, JNDIResource,
RMIIIOPResource, JavaMailResource, and URLResource.  Everything else is
either just a top level sub interface of J2EEManagedObject or a
J2EEDeployedObject, which is a sub interface of J2EEManagedObject.

BTW, they really aren't Java interfaces, but rather exposed management
interfaces, which are just naming conventions.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network