geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [jndi] Have we found a JNDI impl yet?
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:36:29 GMT
On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 08:55 Europe/London, Richard Monson-Haefel
wrote:

> All this sounds great, Alex, but I’m a little concerned that its
> overkill for the JNDI ENC.  The JNDI ENC is totally static at runtime
> (per deployment) and therefore a very simple, and fast, in-memeory
> caching strategy works best.

Is this necessarily the case? It has to be able to start up EJBs and
write into the JNDI ENC during runtime; if it is going to support
on-the-fly deployment of other EJBs, I'd say that it must be able to
handle additional extras inserted in at runtime.

I also don't see why code cannot necessarily register additional things
in the JNDI ENC, such as other databases populated by an initialisation
code. I know that it's not likely that this will be the case, but
assuming that it is totally static seems a wrong decision.

Of course caching is always likely to provide better performance in any
case, but it still does not have to be static.

Alex (B).