geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: JMX as a kernel (was: Re: geronimo and avalon?)
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:54:50 GMT

On Friday, Aug 8, 2003, at 13:05 Europe/London, Leo Simons wrote:

> Why JMX Is Not A Very Good Kernel
> ------------------

I'd definitely concur with this. Put it better than I could have done,
too :-)

Note that just because JMX isn't a kernel, doesn't mean that some parts
of it can't be configured with JMX on top. It just means that not
everything has to be JMX.

Building a tighter smaller kernel gives me a gut feeling that it will
run faster, though I've yet to convert that into measurable figures :-)
But reducing (unnecessary) layers is bound to speed it up...

One fear I have of using JMX as a kernel is that all the intra-kernel
messages would be sent using JMX. If JMX isn't used in the kernel, then
they can be made more efficient/optimised; but JMX can be put as a
layer on top of the features (e.g. EJBs) that need configuring/managing
by JMX.

Definitely vote +1 for not using JMX 'just because'

Alex.