geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Notification when moving code
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:01:49 GMT
On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 07:52 PM, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> I just had a fairly bad CVS experience, and I know some others also
>> have.  The problem is moving code.  This causes big problems for
>> people with uncommitted changes, and makes for some very unhappy
>> programmers.
>> I suggest that as a community that we agree to give at least 24 hours
>> notice of [moving-code] <file-or-directory-name> to the mailing list.
>>  This rule would apply to core sections of code like
>> org.apache.geronimo.common.State and modules like the move of jsr77
>> to j2ee-management.
>
> Dain,
>
> These moves have been discussed on the mailing list for at least a few
> days in the jsr77 threads.
>
> Sorry if it disrupted anything.

Before I sent the email, I rescanned the entire 77 thread and did not
find a single message mentioning that the entire 77 and 88 packages
were going to be moved.  I was the one that suggested they should be
renamed, but others should have gotten fair notice.  I also did not
find any mention of the State and Notification classes moving to spec.
I may have just plain missed it, but that is the point of my
suggestion.  Others need fair warning when a major class or entire tree
will be moved.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner