geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Cabrera, Alan" <Alan.Cabr...@reuters.com>
Subject RE: [i18n] Hardcoded message strings
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:28:51 GMT

You have touched on a point that I brought up a while back.  Someone was
proposing that we switch locals on the fly to provide i18n messages that are
useful to the end user.  My response to that was that we are writing server
code and IMHO application writers are going to want to catch these nasty
exceptions, maybe save state, and print out a nicer message with an
explanation as to how to proceed; while it does have its place, none of this
has any business being in server software.  Also, anyone who has ever had to
deal w/ product managers when writing an application will know that they
will not like whatever nice message we on the Geronimo cook up; it's not in
a product manager's nature to be happy with the way that things are. ;)

My point is that we should focus on a single locale to provide i18n messages
for the developers that are writing applications on our server.  Let's keep
it simple.  I am very concerned by some of the Byzantine constructs, no
offence meant, that are being discussed.

Regards,
Alan

information and to register, visit <http://www.reuters.com/messaging>

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual sender,
except  where  the sender specifically states them to be the views of The
Reuters Group.