geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Cabrera, Alan" <Alan.Cabr...@reuters.com>
Subject RE: Standard @version tags
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:56:32 GMT
1+

Given the evaluation criteria of, if all other things are equal, making the
code easier to read and comprehend should be a priority, I think that this
is a good idea.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: David Blevins [mailto:david.blevins@visi.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 5:48 AM
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Standard @version tags

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:18:19AM +0100, Alex Blewitt wrote:
> To revisit some of the earlier discussions regarding this:
>
> o We don't include author, because it's accessible from the CVS log o
> Since we can also find out the date from the CVS log, there's no point
> in having that in the source code as well
>
> It seemed to be the case that using $Date$ was therefore redundant,
> because you could easily find out how old the source was from CVS.

Not to point out the obvious, but all $foo$ tags are available from cvs log.

I personally like the $Id$ tag which gives you everything.  Yes, it's easy
to check cvs log on one file, but a hundred files?

The $Id$ tag (and other cvs tag) may be bothersome to committers, but it's a
tremendous convenience to the thousands of users who may be looking through
the source.

-David

information and to register, visit <http://www.reuters.com/messaging>

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual sender,
except  where  the sender specifically states them to be the views of The
Reuters Group.