geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian Jackson" <adr...@dynamicweb.co.uk>
Subject RE: Configuration as Flat File vs. Registry
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:05:17 GMT
As the wiki points out (I know, because I put it there) you can get the
same benefits if you allow import/export of the config through an XML
document.

Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Foley [mailto:edward.foley@snet.net]
Sent: 13 August 2003 02:12
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Configuration as Flat File vs. Registry

Greetings all. I have been reading some of the postings and the wiki
concerning the configuration (registry vs. flat file). In a production
situation where there are multiple instances of a container running at
one time I find it much easier to have a flat (XML) file to hold the
configuration. I can edit the file in my favorite text editor, XML
editor or IDE and deploy it through the build process for the
application. Having to go through a GUI to edit the registry for each
instance would be a significant pain. Even if you could, theoretically,
point all instances to the same registry I may not have access to a
configuration GUI from the console I am working at. I am also not
convinced that the common registry will not become a major problem when
you have a failure of the container housing the registry.