geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Adrian Jackson" <adr...@dynamicweb.co.uk>
Subject RE: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:37:59 GMT
All that this means is that you need a way to manage the configuration
in a human-readable form. There's no reason not to have tools that allow
you to read and write the configuration through XML files (cf.
Websphere's xmlconfig tools) while storing the configuration data in
other forms. This also has the benefit of making it easy to take a
snapshot of some or all of the configuration of an application so that
you can revert to it at a later stage - something which a pure JNDI or
similar implementation of configuration wouldn't appear to easily allow.

As with a few of the other discussions taking place on here, it's
important to remember that just because it's nice to access it as XML
doesn't mean that this has to be the underlying structure.

Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: Pranni [mailto:pranni99@hotmail.com]
Sent: 09 August 2003 12:28
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files

> I think this makes an excellent point:
> o GUI tools are better for administrators
> o Developers like files

Its not that developers like files, sometimes, for developers, files are
the only way to change the configuration. In my company we have to
deploy and test our application on a remote weblogic server, for which
we have only a secure shell access(due to firewall reasons) . We do have
the luxury of accessing configuration thru the admin console and
modifying the config.xml is the only way we can change the server's
configuration. So providing the configurations in a human-readable form
would definitly needed in similar situations and a normal (xml?) text
file will be a better option for that.

-Prakash