geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [bcel] Is anyone a BCEL expert?
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:24:58 GMT
On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 04:17 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	I have a Proxy implementation for JDK 1.2 that I could contribute
> (e.g. I have copyright), either as a starter implementation or for
> reference.  It's the one used by OpenEJB for JDK 1.2 support.  But it
> doesn't use BCEL.  I've used BCEL a bit, enough to do everything up
> until
> field interception, but I'm probably going to be spending my time on
> JSR-88 more than this in the short term.

I really think we need to use BCEL as this code will need to be
maintained for a long time.  Hopefully, you can help whomever takes up
this one.

> 	BTW, I'm not convinced the best way to handle CMP 2.0 is to allow
> the Proxy to extend abstract classes as well as interfaces.  If we have
> the byte code wizardry to do the byte code mangling for the last point,
> why don't we just generate non-proxy concrete subclasses of the CMP 2.0
> abstract classes and ditch the reflection altogether?

This is exactly what we do.  We generate a concrete subclass of the
abstract implementation and redirect the abstract accessors to the
persistence engine.  Of course, it still uses an invocation handler as
the entry point, but there is certainly no reflection.  There is
reflection for CMP 1.1, which we are required to support, and that is
why I want to use BCEL.

-dain