geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Kington, Max" <mking...@espeed.co.uk>
Subject RE: JNDI Impl
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:55:14 GMT
Agreed,

File based JNDI implementations do have their merits, they're really
useful as a tool in development, and for demonstrating the concept of
JNDI.  Sun ONE's Message Queue comes with a filecontext JNDI store
for just this reason.

There's no reason why a JNDI implementation couldn't take a similar
approach to the pluggable persistance/storage as the CMP engine. So
that your underlying store can be what you like. What would be really
nice is if it used the same persistance interfaces as a potential
CMP engine.  So that the intended stores can be pluggable.  I could
therefore amke my object stores repository be as clever or stupid
as It would make writing a clusterable JNDI store easier IMHO.

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: Henri Yandell [mailto:bayard@generationjava.com]
Sent: 08 August 2003 13:35
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org; Richard@Monson-Haefel.com
Subject: Re: JNDI Impl

+1. Over time I would expect the maintenance/bug conversation to move to
Commons.

My particular jndi-impl is a bit of a joke in that it's a client-side only
implementation that uses .properties/.xml as a store underneath it. But I
wrote it because of how I felt a JNDI server should work in a container
[and be usable without even a JNDI server running].

Pushing Commons Lang out is my primary aim atm, but I'll grabb the jndi
code to a laptop and take it camping with me this weekend.

Hen

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Richard Monson-Haefel wrote:

> I think its proper to discuss it on this list under some specific thread
so that
> everyone can contribute, discuss, etc.
>
> "Kington, Max" wrote:
>
> > Richard,
> >
> > Where would this live and would you take the discussion of it's
development
> > elswhere? That's not a request, that's a question, I've got some points
> > regarding this pivitol point of J2EE infrastructure with regards to
> > security.
> >
> > I just wouldn't want to miss the discussion,
> >
> > Max

JNDI
> > implementation which is based on something in the commons. For the short
> > term, however, we can use something more akin to what I created for
OpenEJB