geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Kington, Max" <mking...@espeed.co.uk>
Subject RE: Pluggable CMP (Re: Persistence framework)
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:31:23 GMT
Right,

But you can implement the SPI's from the J2EE spec without
binding to any particular O/R mapping technology. I think
that's what you're saying, but if you then use, for example,m
 Hibernate to persist your data it doesn't really matter. They
need not be connected.

I'm guessing it'll work like this,

1) Create the SPI interfaces.
2) Implement a bridge to translate SPI interface calls to persistance
interface calls
3) Create the persistance interfaces
4) Implement the persistance interfaces for your chosen O/R mapping tool.

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Arentz [mailto:stefan.arentz@soze.com]
Sent: 08 August 2003 10:03
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Pluggable CMP (Re: Persistence framework)

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 18:18, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> This might be a tougher question to answer than Tomcat, Jetty
> integration,
> but one thing that would be desirable would be a pluggable strategy for
> CMP.
>
> Does the current archtecture include any provisions for a pluggable
> persistence layer - i.e. using Castor, Hibernate, or OJB depending on
> your
> preference?

I agree that pluggable persitence engines are important, but do not
forget that this is to be a J2EE server; it has to follow the spec. I
think it is far more important that the server follows the current CMP
and JDO specs instead of already looking to much at all the different
implementations as listed above.

  S.