geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [services] getting service developers started - the initial component model
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:00:54 GMT
On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 05:57 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

>> All that sounds reasonable and I fully agree with you. However, as the
>> project is still in early stages I'd like to emphasize the fact that
>> J2EE
>> developers may want to deploy their own MBeans (doing things like
>> flushing
>> a cache) also at runtime. This possibility is without doubt been
>> forgetten
>> while WebLogic Server was coded. Even BEA WLS developers cannot
>> supply one
>> with any reasonable ways to deploy your own standard MBeans which do
>> not
>> have anything to do with WLS itself.
>
> AFAIK the J2EE spec doesn't say anything about being able to put your
> own MBean into a server. However, an MBean container for just this
> purpose sounds like an excellent idea.

There are rumors of a user loadable JMX services JSR forming.

> Note that I don't believe the server itself needs to be an MBean
> container (in much the same way that the whole isn't a web container
> or ejb container) but it seems reasonable to assume that at some
> future point the J2EE spec may create the concept of an MBean
> container.

I agree that the standard component model (the component model is not
the server) does not have to be JMX, but it seems like an extreme waste
of effort to create a shadow JMX object for every component in the
server, when we can just have them be JMX components.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network