geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: FAQ Hibernate and JDO
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:52:27 GMT
I didn't realise Hibernate was LGPL - sorry my mistake - so we should
probably remove it from the list for now.

If we created a plugin API inside Geronimo that someone could implement
with Hibernate (outside of Apache) then we could use Hibernate.

Though Apache (currently AFAIK) cannot...

* import any LGPL code
* host any LGPL binaries

So I guess we should just focus on OJB for now as a JDO / CMP plugin.

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 10:45  pm, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Hibernate can be pluggable, but it cannot be redistributed with
> Geronimo.
>
> The licensing for a plugin that plugs Hibernate into Geronimo is a bit
> harder to judge :)
>
> For example, Maven ships with a plugin for Hibernate. It is licensed
> under
> the Apache Software License, and yet taking the current thoughts on
> LGPL
> in a low-risk way suggests that this plugin might have to be shipped as
> LGPL.
>
> Hen
>
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
>
>> I read in the FAQ
>>  From the ASF licenced projects...
>> "OJB or Hibernate for JDO & plugins to the CMP engine"
>>
>> Hibernate is a LGPL license project ;-(. Can it stilll stay in the
>> usable project ?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/