geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic MBeans. Was: Kernel Architecture
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:51:54 GMT
> Another point worth to discuss is invocation performance: remember
> that calling via JMX is waaaaaay slower than with reflection: the
> MBeanServer must perform a lot of additional checks to ensure the JMX
> specification is respected.
> I think using it in the container invocation chain (which should be
> able to support a LOT of invocations/second) would really slow down
> the container performance.

Can you get some definite figures for this? I've been meaning to look
into it (I suspected it may be the case) but have yet to get around to
it :-)

I think that JMX should be used for management (who cares if a 'start'
operation executes in 100ms instead of 10ms), but not as part of the
passing-messages-around-the-loop.

Alex.