geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [JavaMail] concerns
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:50:02 GMT
On Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003, at 13:08 Europe/London, Serge Knystautas
wrote:

>>> providing the implementation. From a community PoV, the files
>>> haven't been
>>> in there very long but no doubt others will pick it up where it
>>> needs to
>>> be handled.
>> This is not a given. Geronimo is a new project, there is great scope
>> for new
>> code ending up being orphaned if a community of interested people
>> doesn't
>> gel around it, there is no guarantee that this will happen.
>
> I agree there is that risk.
>
> That said, I believe the James community would be fertile ground to
> take over responsibility of the ASF-licensed implementation.  I'm
> planning to push to adopt Alex's implementation into James once it's
> appropriate. In fact, I was wondering how the activation.jar
> implementation is coming. :)
>
> We've discussed creating a subproject in James to maintain
> ASF-licensed JavaMail implementations, which historically has only
> really meant stores and session (providers).  If it can include the
> core implementation as well, so be it.

Would it not be better to try and evolve it into a commons- package,
though? It looks like it will be desirable from both James and
Geronimo, and IIRC Maven is also something that could stand to benefit
from it ...

These are longer-term goals, though; my initial focus will be getting
it set up in Geronimo, and then bounce ideas of where it should live
when it's ready :-)

Alex.