geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Saad Rehmani" ...@nextjet.com>
Subject RE: [JNDI] [Config] Configuration: flat file or registry?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:33:26 GMT
Does it make sense to think of the configuration information as residing
in a registry/tree which is facaded by mbeans?

The text file could just have an interpretor that would eventually act
as yet another client for the mbeans and spit out an updated view of the
config at the end.

Any concurrency issues can be dealt with at the mbeans / jndi /
registry-implementation level as they'll have to face those anyways.
They'll have to deal with those anyways.

-saad

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Hamblett [mailto:shamblett@charter.net]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:21 PM
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [JNDI] [Config] Configuration: flat file or registry?

Alex,

     I don't know if this will help, but I have been
working with iPlanet/Sun ONE, and if I remember correctly
(this comes from the marketing types) there is a
configuration feature that allows the configuration to be
in both places.  The flat file is offered as a defelopment
solution, and allows configurations to be shared easily
between servers.  I believe there is some continuity
between both, where the registry can be loaded via file,
and can be dumped to file.  I don't know if this strategy
will help, or just create noise.  Sorry if the latter.

Sean