geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: New Deployment Verifier Project
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:49:10 GMT

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 09:09  pm, Weston M. Price wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Just wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding the removal of the
> Verifier
> engine from Geronimo and creating a seperate Jakarta project focusing
> only on
> the verification of J2EE based archives (app server independent).

-1.

IMHO it should just be another module (Maven project) inside Geronimo -
part of the same community but usable by itself. Geronimo should be
useable as a whole J2EE stack or the parts should be useable by
themselves too.

> As as been
> frequently discussed on this list, verification is not addressed
> directly by
> the deployment specification and can very well exist as a seperate
> component
> that can be used independently of a particular application server. Our
> primary concern would be, of course, a rigorous evaluation of a J2EE
> archive
> against a particular specification standard.
> 	This seperation would allow for a nice distinction between the
> DeploymentManager (as dictated by the specification) and a module that
> could
> provide enchanced services to J2EE developers and administrators.
>
> Let me know what you guys think. If it's a go, we can all plan
> accordingly.

We can still keep things modular & manage dependencies nicely within
the Geronimo project - we've already got a modular build. So Verifier
would have its own Maven build. e.g.

geronimo/
	modules/
		verifier/
			src/
				java/
				test/

etc.

We've already 3 modules in CVS to give you the idea.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/