geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [General] Container interface and AbstractContainer
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:21:09 GMT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 11:56  am, Alex Blewitt wrote:

>> Though as soon as I did this something hit me - if you add a
>> component by itself - and a component doesn't have an ObjectName (at
>> least on the Component interface today) then how does the Container
>> know the ObjectNames of the components? i.e. how can we implement the
>> getComponentNames() method?
>
> (a) I don't think the getComponentNames() adds anything that you
> couldn't get yourself from the getComponents()

Its there for JMX agents & GUIs. Its just 1 helper method. (Should
probably return ObjectName[] as its only real purpose is for JMX agents
right?)

> (b) Is it true that every Component has an ObjectName? I don't think
> it does (necessarily), and I think this assumption could lead to bad
> coding ...

Am not sure. Thats why I brought it up. Either it does or we add
components to a container with an ObjectName. Though I confess to not
knowing enough of jsr 77 & 88 to make that call.

>> Maybe I've not grokked this code fully yet but either Container needs
>> a getObjectName() or the addComponent() method should take an
>> ObjectName right? This is echo-ing Jan's previous comment that
>> Component should have a method...
>
> The point of having a separate type for Component is that it should be
> a component, not an ObjectName.
>
> If you were writing
>
> public interface JMXContainer extends Container {
> }
>
> then you might want to restrict everything having an ObjectName, but
> that's not necessarily going to be the case.

Remember that this stuff is internal to the container. Any old POJO or
MBean could be used as a component.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/