geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject [Logs] Re: Logging code and Garbage Collection
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:14:50 GMT

On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 06:31 Europe/London, Pasi Salminen wrote:

> Putting my administrator hat on, I must say that I don't like
> application servers
> which do not enable change of logging level at runtime.

Though personally I've not come across this before, I can see that it
would be a desirable thing to have.

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> For example:
>>
>> if ( m_logger.isDebugEnabled() )
>> {
>>      m_logger.debug( "test message" );
>> }
>>
>> is both slower and more cumbersome than this:
>>
>> m_logger.debug( "test message" );

I will agree that there is more code. But bear in mind that w/o the
debugging guard, the m_logger.debug("message") will almost certainly
call m_logger.isDebugEnabled() (or access the boolean to do the test)
anyway, so in the (common) case when debugging isn't enabled then IMHO
it will make very little difference; possibly even run /faster/ with
the guard.

Bear in mind that 'is slower' and 'is faster' are only likely to be
based on what we humans think; until you've actually got code that is
running, and it is demonstrable that this is where the bottleneck is,
then pre-optimisation isn't worthwhile.

Alex.