geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Coding standards: import thing.* or thing.Class?
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:44:13 GMT
Has anyone got any preferences between using:

import java.util.*

or

import java.util.Vector
import java.util.Enumeration

etc.

(Yes, I know I should be using List instead of Vector :-)

Despite some articles trying to claim otherwise, there's really very
little difference between the two as far as the code is concerned. In
fact, you could argue that the import package.Type is actually slower
than the import package.* variant as there's more text to be parsed.

The only real difference IMNSO is that if you have

import java.util.*

then this says 'This type is dependent on types in the java.util
package"

whereas

import java.util.Vector
import java.util.Enumeration

says "I specifically depend on Vector and Enumeration in the java.util
package"

People who use powerful IDEs (i.e.,they write the import statements for
you) generally prefer the more verbose and detailed import types; those
using text editors will no doubt prefer to use the package wildcards.

Any votes on which one is better/worse/standard?

Alex.