geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [build] Only run tests if something changed?
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:36:11 GMT
On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 01:57 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 11:03  pm, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> This is exactly what I want.  If I change anything in the module (at
>> all) or if one of my dependencies is new, run all of the module
>> tests, otherwise don't.
>
> Why not just run the tests in the module you're in?
>
> 	cd geronimo/modules/foo
> 	maven test
>
> I'm not aware of any mechanism for only running the tests in a module
> if a dependent jar has changed. I wonder if the Continuum thingy  -
> Continuous Integration for Maven - could handle this kinda thing.  Or
> you could add this as a feature request in Maven's JIRA.

James that is not my point.  Right now time you build all of the tests
run.  I would like the test to run in the default build target, but
only if something changed in the module.  The are a bunch of ways to
make this determination.  The easiest being to set a run-tests flag
when we compile.  Alternatively, we could check if any file in the
project and any dependency jar has changed since the last run.  Isn't
there some sweet jelly code that can do this without a new feature
request?

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner